STUDY GUIDE IDEAS & PROJECTS
FOR RIVETS & THE STUDY OF HOMEFRONT EFFORT OF WW2
1. What were the traditional roles of women prior to WW 2? How did these roles change once America entered the War?
2. . Who was Rosie the Riveter?
3. What is propaganda? How was propaganda used to encourage women to enter the work force during WW2? When the war was over, how was propaganda used to urge women to return to their homes? What types of propaganda do we see in today's society?
4. Using the Web, find stories and pictures of Real Rosie the Riveters. What did these women contribute to our society?
5. How did President Roosevelt impact the war efforts by signing Executive Order 8802? How did this Order effect African Americans?
6.. What was the role of the Kaiser Richmond Shipyards in WW2?
7. How did the War effect the population of the San Francisco Bay Area during WW2?
8. What is rationing? What did American's give up so that our War Efforts would be successful?
9. What does having a Blue or Gold Star in the window of the family home mean?
10. Why did Americans have Black Outs in WW2? How close did our Country's enemies get to America during the war?
11. What discrimination did Japanese Americans experience in WW2?
12. How did the role of Women in the Military change because of WW2?
Have students interview family members for first hand recollections of home front life during WW2. Many will find that their Grandparents and Great Grandparents have vivid memories of the War.